The Maryland Eastern Shore is known for its stunning Chesapeake Bay views, picturesque parks and beaches, fascinating wildlife, and charming seaside towns. We experience every season here, and we love that! It’s always the best time to visit the MD Eastern Shore, and each season is special in its own way. Keep reading and decide which season is perfect for you to plan your trip!
After you pick the best time to visit the MD Eastern Shore, be sure to download our complimentary Vacation Guide. It outlines the best things to do in Rock Hall, including outdoor activities, shops, restaurants, and more.
The Best Times To Visit the MD Eastern Shore
No matter what the weather is like, there are so many things to do on the MD Eastern Shore in each season!
Spring at the Shore (March through May)
At the beginning of spring, the weather can be chilly here, and temperatures can hover in the mid-40s and 50s. As the season continues and the flowers begin to bloom, you can expect mild temperatures in the mid-70s and sometimes the mid-80s.
Things To Do
- Sip your way through Chesapeake Wine Country and visit some of our favorite wineries.
- Stroll the streets of downtown Rock Hall. Check out eclectic boutiques and get a delicious, handcrafted beverage at Java Rock Coffee Café.
- Visit our neighboring waterfront town, Chestertown, and visit fascinating historical sites.
Summer at the Shore (June through August)
If you prefer warmer weather, summertime on the shore is for you! The warmest time of the year is generally mid-July, with high temperatures averaging at 88 degrees during the day. You’ll rarely see temperatures drop below 71 degrees at night.
Things To Do
- Indulge in a feast of mouthwatering Maryland steamed crabs at Waterman’s Crab House.
- Avoid the crowds at Rehoboth Beach and Ocean City and spend the day at the low-key Rock Hall Beach. This beach provides covered pavilions, BBQ grills, and picnic tables with scenic views of the Chesapeake Bay.
- Get out on the water for an exciting deep-sea expedition with a local fishing charter.
Fall at the Shore (September through November)
One of our favorite seasons here is Autumn. The leaves change to dazzling colors and slowly begin to fall. At the beginning of fall, temperatures are usually around 80 degrees. Later in the season, humidity starts to drop off, and temperatures are around the mid-50s and 60s.
Things To Do
- Gaze at fall foliage at Tuckahoe State Park and Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge.
- Listen to live music, enjoy local music, and celebrate Rock Hall’s heritage at the Rock Hall Fall Fest. (be sure to check the event website for 2021 event details)
Winter at the Shore (December through February)
If you’re craving a relaxing winter escape, there’s no better place than the Maryland Eastern Shore. The daily temperature is usually around 40 or 50 degrees, with lows between 25 and 35 degrees. During your stay here, you might be lucky enough to experience a sparkling white snowfall.
Things To Do
- Go birdwatching and look for majestic Tundra swans at Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge.
- Taste delicious fresh-caught oysters at locally-owned restaurants. Bay Wolf Restaurant offers tasty all-you-can-eat oysters on Wednesdays, which are in season from October through March.
- Get comfy and cozy in an adorable private cottage. We offer an array of unique cottages to choose from, each offering fully-equipped kitchens, homey fireplaces, and outdoor sitting areas with gorgeous views of our sprawling inn grounds.
Book Your Eastern Shore Getaway With Us
Which season will you choose to visit us in Rock Hall? No matter what time of the year it is, you can’t go wrong! When you’re searching for the best accommodations in the area, look no further than Inn at Huntingfield Creek. We are a luxurious bed and breakfast retreat offering private cottages, excellent amenities, and warm Chesapeake hospitality. When you stay with us, you’ll enjoy daily homemade breakfast and have access to our pool, our inn grounds and trails, kayak and bicycle rentals, and more!
Browse our accommodations and book your stay with us today!